New Bolt Wi-Fi... won't connect to Wi-Fi

Would be nice to have better information about why Wi-Fi won’t connect/configure.

Bought a new U-Bolt Wi-Fi Smart Lock. Physical installation took all of 10 minutes, but then I spent 3 hours trying to get it to connect to my Wi-Fi network that I use for all of my IOT devices. No matter what I did, it did not connect.

Wi-Fi is a 2.4Ghz network, the signal is very strong, phone is right next to the device, bluetooth connection is fine. Turned on airplane mode on my iPhone to make sure the cellular network was off and connected to same 2.4ghz wifi network (moved the 5ghz band to a separate ssid, even tried turning off the 5ghz broadcast and multiple router restarts).

So annoying, all the app says is: WiFi found… configuring… configuration failed. I have no idea what is going on and it’s the most frustrating thing. Is there an un-listed requirement for characters allowed in SSID or some minimum password requirements? Somehow it managed to update its firmware throughout this whole ordeal because the app went from having a red dot next to firmware to removing that red dot, despite never successfully connecting to Wi-Fi. I’m about to return this useless thing but it’s the weekend and I want to call support on Monday before I abandon ship.