Making Key copies

Lock should list the brands and Key numbers that can be used to make copies. I’ve tried making multiple copies of key and they either fit but don’t turn or they are to thick to fit into the key slot. It should be easier to make copies at your local hardware store instead of paying higher prices to a locksmith.

I think maybe the keyway is to blame. I’ve noticed too that KW1 keys are too thick, and don’t turn the cylinder very well too.

That may be. Still, it would be nice if we new key brands and key #s to make copies easier.

At first, these locks were advertised as having Schlage keyways. Speaking to customer service, apparently, some previously came with Schlage, and now they are Kwikset. I rekeyed my U-Tec locks to match the KW1 keys I use, but it’s really finicky trying to lock and unlock with store bought KW1 keys.

Does anyone have a model number to replace the cylinder by chance???

Is there any information on what to tell a locksmith? I can barely find locksmith storefronts in Brooklyn NY anymore and the mobile ones dont make copies. I need 3 copies this is unfortunate. Home Depot and my local hardware both tried and the keys didnt fit or didnt turn.

Thanks for that info about the key actually being Kwikset - my local hardware store made a Schlage key and it totally did not fit. I also used the self serve key cutting machine at Home Depot and it definitely spit out a KW key. It fit but I thought did not turn, however with a little force, it both locks and unlocks my Ubolt Pro Wifi.

1 Like

I too had problems re-keying my Ultraloq U-Bolt Pro deadbolts (I have two in my house.) I did some research and contacted U-Tec support and was told that they are Schlage 5-pin C type keyway compatible cylinders. There is a good article about this on the U-Tec support page.

U-Bolt Series Cylinder Lock

In actuality, I gather that this Schlage cylinder is extremely common because it is pretty old and the patent ran out on it such that anyone can make the cylinder now. Lots of reprutible brands (like Baldwin) make “knock-off” cylinders of the same type. It’s not guaranteed, but usually, now a days, when someone says “i’ve got a Schlage lock,” they mean that they have this Schlage 5-pin C keyway compatible cylinder in their lock, and you can rekey all those locks alike. The alternative is Kwikset cylinders. I’m less familiar with those, but what I can tell you is that Schlage cylinders and Kwikset cylinders are like oil and water. They will never mix.

In my case, I thought I would be cleaver and I bought a Schlage 5-pin C keyway rekey kit from Home Depot for cheap and tried to rekey the U-Bolts myself. I ultimately broke them in the process and had to go to a locksmith to save myself. So, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you do not do as I do. Go to a qualified locksmith.

Ultimately, I ended up carefully replacing all the locks and/or lock cylinders in my home with Schlage (I tried to confirm the 5-pin C keyway part, but that’s often not possible) and I then called the locksmith who saved me in my DIY rekey adventure to come to our house and rekey everything. They were successful but they mentioned that “the U-Bolts are tricky” and they had issues with “pin jumping” (whatever that means.)

So, to summarize, from someone who was successful in rekeying everything (and then getting keys duplicated easily) who has Ultraloq U-Bolt Pro deadbolts purchased just recently (in March 2022.)

• You must make sure everything you’re trying to re-key with the U-Tec locks are Schlage locks. Specifically, Schlage 5-pin C keyway lock cylinders. Kwikset locks WILL NOT WORK. But many vendors (other than Kwikset themselves) let you replace, or pick, the lock cylinder to be Schlage or Kwikset (for example, our Andersen storm doors had replacement cylinders available that were Schlage, and Baldwin uses both Kwikset and Schlage and will tell you which they use in any given lock.)
  • Don’t try a DIY rekey solution. It won’t work. I think it’s safe to say that these cylinders from U-Tec are Schlage, but they’re a finicky “knockoff” and need a professional’s touch. And remember, knockoff isn’t derogatory. Everyone does it. But it means that quality will vary between vendors.
1 Like

Whatever the situation, it’s rather frustrating. My locks purchased early this year definitely use Kwikset keys. KW1 and Schlage C key shapes are completely different and won’t fit in each other’s keyway, so I know mine are KW1 keys. As I said earlier in this thread, the store-bought KW1 keys are thicker than the keys that came with the lock, and are tough to put into the U-Tec keyway, and turning it is finicky. I rekeyed my locks to match the rest of the house myself, and it could be because of this, but the keys don’t turn very easily.

I must’ve lucked out with the cylinder that came in mine. I used a self-serve kiosk at Home Depot and got a key that actually works. Just for the heck of it I tried a machine at a Kroger and it kept thinking it was a car key!

I have the Ultraloq UBolt 5 in 1 w Bridge and needed key copies. I went to my local Ace Hardware and they made me 4 working keys for about $2.69 a pc. No issues at all. Key brand is Hillman and you can take it back if it doesn’t work. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Silvester, I’ll give them a try.

Keyed alike, Keyed the same, or Master key

Be very careful I just got qty 4 U-Bolt-Series and wanted them on the same key and got a perfect match to image / dimensions of https://support.u-tec.com/hc/en-us/articles/360056461591-Description-of-the-Ultraloq-U-Bolt-Series-Cylinder-Lock

I found Prime-Line E 2104 Cylinder Locks which come keyed the same (see the 100% identical image E 2104 - Cylinder Lock, 1-1/4 inches, Schlage Keyed Alike, Pack of 1 ). Surprisingly the Primeline cylinders didn’t fit (as in impossible to put in the U-tec lock) and they didn’t come close to matching the dimensions of what was inside my new (Oct 2023) U-tec Ubolt series locks so I had to return my entire Primeline E2104 order.

unnamed

So it appears that U-tec changed the keyway (I think to pure Schlage as in no more weird KW1 and Schlage C key shape combo).

It was actually pretty cheap (as in about $12 USD/lock) to remove the cylinders take them to a lock smith and have three of them re-keyed to one I left the same and have a few extra keys made.

U-tec really should allow you to order keyed alike locks it is sad they force many customer to jump through hoops to get what they need.

2 Likes

I was thinking of doing the same thing. But it may not be worth the trouble.

Did they update the website? It shows the same as your second image now.
Looks like the no-notch cylinder is impossible to find.

Hopefully a locksmith can easily rekey them! Just match the pin sizes from the main lock.

Yes the rekeying by a locksmith is what I did, it was cheaper then buying (the wrong cylinders) just remove the the cylinders yourself and take them all to the locksmith and have them keyed the same (so bring a set of keys too) and if you want have the lock smith make extra keys.

So it looks like the updated the image, but if you want to buy a cylinder I think one of the pins doesn’t go down al the way (see the video at time 4:26 by LockPickingLawyer Unusual Feature in UltraLoq Smart Lock#lockpickinglawyer #foryou #us... | TikTok ) so I have no idea who make the cylinder. This make a slightly more secure locks (impervious to standard bump keys). This created no issues for my locksmith.

Note, the same video describes at time 0:52 talks about mixed Schalge Kwikset keyways. But my locks seemed to use “pure” std. Schalge style keys. So I think U-tec fixed things with respect to this (at least in the new builds).

For those rekeying to match other mfg. locks with Schlage Type C keyways the Ultraloq keys seem to be too thick.

For example: The Ultraloq keys that come with the Ultraloq U-Bolt realy don’t fit in my Baldwin Schlage Type C keyways but a copy of the Ultraloq key onto a different key blank fits fine.

Thus if you wan’t all your locks on the same key U-Tec, Baldwin, and Schlage you probably won’t be able to use the original U-Tec keys BUT if you make a copy onto a standard key blank they can all be rekeyed the same.

Note, I rekeyed a Baldwin Cylinder from a " Baldwin Reserve Lifetime Brass Single-Cylinder Deadbolt Keyed Entry Door Handleset Knob" Model #SCCOLXROUTRR003 to match my Ultraloq U-Bolt key - and the U-Bolt key doesn’t fit but a copy of the key works perfect.