Latch 5 Disconnects from network and never reconnects without power cycle

Just switched to lithium batteries in my latch and over a cold long weekend, the keypad worked well every time (of course with a multiple finger swipe to turn the screen on). But the Wi-Fi won’t seem to stay connected on it more than about 24 hours at a time. Connection is strong after power cycling the latch, and I’ve forced my router to only use 2.4Ghz, but the app never reconnects after it drops until I power cycle it again by pulling a battery for a few seconds. Is this a known issue? Seems like it could be a firmware issue to me. Is there a new firmware to be pushed any time soon on the Latch 5 that may resolve this?

@admins @Frank @U-tec can we get some commentary from U-Tec on this issue? This appears to be common across other latch 5 beta testers. Has the issue been identified and is there a fix in the works?

@admins @Frank @U-tec Hi just checking in on this for the Latch 5. Any updates? It appears that this is happening for some (but not all) of us using the Latch 5. Any recommendations on improving the reliability of the wifi connection? (Other than the obvious distance between the router and the lock - that is reported to be a strong connection when it is working after a power cycle so it should not be the issue.)

Appears to have been resolved with lock firmware 01.34.0015. Have been reliably connected with the lock remotely for about 2 weeks now. Usually wouldn’t last more than 2 days (lock would drop off its local Wi-Fi connection) before the update. Nice work on finally resolving this U-tec!

I just bought a new Latch 5 NFC and am having this problem. I have upgraded to firmware 01.34.0015 and have had the problem since I upgraded. I use a Ubiquiti U6-LR access point which is broadcasting its SSID only on 2.4GHz. Very strong signal at the lock, because the AP is about 5 feet away, overhead. I have no problem connecting with my iPhone or my iPad, and the other IoT gadgets in the room remain connected on 2.4GHz with excellent WiFi service.

The disconnects are happening the same time every night - 3am. This is the time that my Unifi system has set to do channel optimization on the APs. The last two nights, the disconnect happened right at 3am. First time the lock never reconnected - the AP moved from channel 1 to 11. I was able to fix this by pulling and reinserting a battery. Second time - last night - the AP moved from channel 6 to 1. The lock disconnected for about 2hr 30min then spontaneously reconnected at about 5:25am. It is still connected, though the signal quality is much more variable than it is on my other IoT gadgets, which maintain excellent signal.

It appears that the firmware does not correctly handle AP channel hops. There may be other problems with it but it seems too big a coincidence that the lock disconnects and fails for at least a time, exactly when the AP changes channels.

I will also file a bug report, and I might disable channel optimization until another firmware upgrade gets me to re-test, if I can do that only on this AP. I will report back if disabling channel optimization and/or locking the AP to a specific 2.4GHz channel temporarily solves this issue. Hope this helps.

Hi I just purchase 7 pcs Latch 5 NFC for my rental property and I have been using U Bold Pro for couple years and it work fine … but the latch 5 look like every one have the same Wi-Fi problem. when I try to use my phone App to connect to the latch 5 with WIFI always say (connecting ).@u-tec .Plz Help