Can't replace cylinder lock with Schlage because of tailpiece

I think you are missing my point. What I am saying is the whole lock could be way more versatile to a locksmith or a handyman if they would accept other keyway cylinders. It would take a very minor adjustment on their part to make their system more adaptable to the industry as a whole. Heck, for all I care, they could sell me the cylinders but they simply will and can not. Look at it this way. If you were going to work on a machine and you could only take 1 wrench. Would you prefer a specific size wrench or an adjustable one? I would take the adjustable one. Why? More likely to get the job done. Looking at our conversation, I would guess you are not a locksmith. It may make more sense if you had rekeyed a lock or whole building. As for @wakefield, I am not sure why he couldn’t use the tailpiece it came with. That fits right in there. My guess is he is not a locksmith either and that is fine. This is what I get when I come to a home level user forum instead of a locksmith forum. My hope is that the management of the company watches this forum at least a little and they realize what they are doing and how they could make it way better.

My house is keyed KwikSet, and now I have 1 key for all the outdoor hardware.

Am not a locksmith, but what is a locksmith really? I have and use tools to regularly open/bypass/reset locks. I’m also not a Meteorologist yet forecast the weather.

The tailpiece is came with doesn’t work due to the difference between KW1 and SC1 KIK cylinders. The KW1 has the retaining pin at a different orientation which prevents the knob and keyway from syncronizing. By twisting the tailpiece CCW 90 degrees the cylinder and knob are aligned: each side of the lock can operate the mechanism equally. If you don’t modify the tailpiece it’ll conflict with the retaining pin: the knob can’t lock fully, the key can’t unlock fully.

As this is a forum - doesn’t matter if we’re homeowners or pros - it’s a great place to share knowledge. I could provide Ultraloq a design that would allow more flexibility, or folks can buy an extra pack of tailpieces and try their luck.

I’m not sure why you would be contemptuous of @wakefield. You’re the one who said you couldn’t find a cylinder that fit, having tried a KW1. Now you say he should not have had to modify the KW1 tailpiece because the KW1 “fits right in there”. If that’s so, why couldn’t you use the KW1 that you ordered?

Not comtemptuous at all. Just dealing with a pile of home users. Do some locksmith training. You might have a little different angle. That is all.

I noticed you didn’t answer my question. You’re the one who said you couldn’t find a cylinder that fit, having tried a KW1. Now you say he should not have had to modify the KW1 tailpiece because the KW1 “fits right in there”. If that’s so, why couldn’t you use the KW1 that you ordered?

I didn’t answer you because you seem to know everything and obviously have no locksmith training and I was trying not to be a DICK but you asked for it. Key in knob cylinders have more than one hole in the back for the tailpieces to fit in so the orientation can be changed without bending things and bastardizing them to fit like a pile of trailer park trash. In response to your post about using a standard cylinder, again you are incorrect because the dimensions of the outside are different enough that any other style will not fit in there easily without modifying the locks internals. I tried 6 different brands and styles in there and utec has designed their lock body to only accept their cylinders. All others I tried do not slide in like the one thay use. You can get them in there but it is tight and not proper. As evidenced by you last post, you completely missed the water when you missed the boat. I will say it in English. utec is not going to thrive as they could because they use nonstandard components to control the end user. Like I said in my last post, I am sorry I stumbled into a home user only board. It won’t happen again. This is why locksmiths have locked chat rooms, to keep this stiff out of the way.

Thank goodness. We poor morons will just have make do.