Wi-Fi setup on U-bolt pro with wifi

It would be extremely helpful to allow a user to manually set up the Wi-Fi over bluetooth. I have a mesh network that automatically connects devices to 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz depending on signal strength. There is no way to force your phone to 2.4 GHz and the Wi-Fi setup will not work unless the phone is on 2.4GHz. This means that the automatic set up involves moving down the street until my phone switches to 2.4 GHz as I move to far for the 5 GHz to work and then setting up the lock. It would be so much easier if you had an option to manually set the Wi-Fi settings over Bluetooth.

@Bonnet Let me make a suggestion, and the sooner you do it the easier life will be moving forward.

I know some don’t allow it, but most routers and mesh networks allow you to have different SSIDs for 2.4g and 5g. Originally, before I flooded my home with smart tech, both bands had the same SSID and it was fine. But I kept struggling to add smart devices which are almost exclusively 2.4g and I had no way to force my phone onto 2.4g.

So a couple of years ago I just changed the name of the 5g band and left the 2.4g as-is. That way any existing smart tech wouldn’t be interrupted and in the future I could easily switch my phone between the two. This left any 5g-capable devices behind on 2.4g but there was no harm in that, and over time I’ve identified them and switched them to 5g. But the most important thing to be on 5g are phones, computers and streaming devices and it’s not too hard to manually update their settings to the 5g ssid. Doing this years ago has made my life so much easier as most smart devices still rely on 2.4g in 2022.

Another option you may have on your router is to temporarily turn off the 5g radio. This would force everything onto 2.4g. Or you can change the 5g band temporarily and then change it back after the device is set up.

U-tec could also allow you to set up their devices in AP mode. In this mode the device creates a hotspot with a temporary SSID and you connect directly to the device by wi-fi. Many smart devices already have this capability. Doing it by bluetooth as you suggest is easier for users though, people who aren’t as technical can struggle to connect to AP mode, but it’s an option.

1 Like

I have an iPhone and connect it to the 2.4 SSID WiFi point before doing anything like this. I’d be surprised if most smartphones can’t do that…

1 Like