Double Cylinder Lock, Secure from both sides

It would be great to have a double cylinder lock that was secure from both sides. We have some garage doors that need to be locked from both sides. I’d like to put an U-Bolt on them, but that requires making the “inside” half insecure.

Basically you want a “secure mode” - which I strongly agree with. For example, it is common for deadbolts and deadlatches to have the following modes:

• passage mode: unlocked from either side;
  • safety mode: locked on one side, unlocked on the other (i.e., can be opened without key or identification);
  • secure mode: locked on both sides (both sides need key or identification to unlock and open).

Secure mode is vital for security when you are away from the home. This stops thieves breaking into your house via a window and then opening your front door and carrying stuff out the front door.

Normally when you are in the house you have the lock in safety mode, so you can easily leave in an emergency.

The Ultraloq U-Bolt only supports passage and safety mode. It doesn’t support secure mode (and it cannot, in its current form).

In order to support secure mode there would need to be a way to:

1. disengage the lever from the bolt, or make it “lockable”;
  2. add authentication to the interior side (e.g., key, pin entry, fingerprints).

Presumably there also would need to be some tamper protection so the device cannot be factory reset and unlocked from the inside.

Ideally this should switch from secure mode to safety mode when you unlock it. This is what good deadbolts and deadlatches do.

I, too, would like to see this feature. It seems like it would be relatively easy to implement as an app setting in order to disengage the manual lock from the bolt. Maybe the company is concerned about liability issues should the user not be able to unlock the door from the inside in case of an emergency?

We can bring this up the chain for you, but in my opinion it’s going to be an uphill battle. Even without the local, county, and state codes, there is the moral code if someone was unable to escape a dicey situation. The tailpiece and knob doesn’t just disengage from the bolt. Also the batteries and whole interior housing is easily taken off from the inside. Most smart lock companies would have this issue as well. I was able to find a possible solution with relative ease by using Google. That’s all I have to say as I don’t want to get us into any legal issues, and I don’t want to get in trouble recommending another company’s lock. Thank you.

It’s weird you say moral codes since this is a standard feature of deadbolts and deadlatches; see e.g., https://www.locksmithsnearyou.com.au/deadlocks-deadlatches-deadbolts/#:~:text=Deadlatches%20also%20come%20in%20single%20and%20double%2Dcylinder%20options%20to%20allow%20even%20more%20functionality.%20Here%20are%20the%20three%20modes%20of%20operation%20with%20double%2Dcylinder%20deadlatches.. What’s special about smart locks that makes this challenging?

Just because someone sells what you’re looking for doesn’t mean that everyone should want to sell it. I’m just a user here but I certainly would not want to sell a lock that required the key or batteries to still be alive in the case of an emergency. Eventually someone will be harmed as a result of the product and if you ignore morals entirely, it would be a very costly legal situation

Bill2, noted on the deadlatches. As stated, I did say in my opinion; the morals part I should have left out. I apologize. Setting aside the legal/moral complications, the main issue is ROI after R&D/planning/production line/marketing. If there is demand and money to be made, somebody will make it. The most recent Reddit asking about a double cylinder smart lock was from 2021.

William